Information Arklow Ireland
The River Avoca splits the town, with a bridge joining what could be described as the town proper where businesses sit side by side on main streets, and a less built up, less terraced area beyond it. the Nineteen Arches bridge is believed to be Ireland’s longest handmade stone bridge and it has a plaque that states this. The town’s English name of Arklow comes from the phrase Arknell’s Low. Arknell was a Viking leader, and low an area of land. The Vikings set up the town as a settlement in the ninth century. The port came to be a major one in Ireland relative to the town’s size, and it has a sea faring tradition with fishing and shipping both important. Shipbuilding was a central industry in the town. According to the records, leader of the Anglo Normans Theobald Walter was granted the town and castle of Arklow by King Henry II. Walter’s descendants became the Earls of Ormonde. The Dominican order was granted land in the area in 1264. Their land is now known as Abbeylands, featuring as it did a Priory of the True Cross. The manor of Arklow changed hands between the McMurroughs (Kings of Leinster) and the Earls of Ormonde, between 1416 and 1525. The manor was then returned to the Ormondes. Oliver Cromwell accepted the surrender of Arklow in 1649. A millennium after the arrival of the Vikings, the 1798 rebellion saw a battle fought in Arklow. It was an attempt by rebels from Wexford to spread the rebellion to Dublin, but a British force held the town and repelled the rebels in what became one of the bloodiest clashes of the rebellion.
Attractions Arklow Ireland
Avoca Hand Weavers - Avoca
Located in Avoca Village, Avoca Hand Weavers is the oldest working mill in Ireland today and dates from 1723. Visitors are welcome to watch the whole weaving process and to examine the yarns. The adjacent mill shop houses the complete Avoca range of clothing and a wide variety of the fine Irish crafts.
Avondale House and Forest Park - Avondale
Built in 1779 by Samuel Hayes, based on a design by James Wyatt, Avondale House is set in the spectacular surroundings of Avondale Forest Park at Rathdrum. Now a museum to the memory of one of the greatest political leaders of modern Irish history, Charles Stewart Parnell, who was born in Avondale on 27th June, 1846. Parnell spent much of his time at Avondale until his death on 6 October 1891. The House has been refurbished to the decor of 1850 and a specially commissioned video has been produced to introduce visitors to Parnell and Avondale.
Dwyer McAllister Cottage - Derrynamuck
The cottage nestles in the shade of Kaedeen mountain at the top of a grassy lane off the Donard to Rathdangan road in Co. Wicklow. It is a fine example of a traditional thatched cottage built with local stone and whitewashed inside and out. It was from this cottage, in the Winter of 1799, that the famed rebel, Michael Dwyer, fought the encircling British groups and finally made good his escape over the snow covered mountains. The cottage was later destroyed by fire and lay in ruins for almost 150 years. It was restored to its original form as a monument in the late 1940's and again extensively repaired and re-roofed in 1992.
Glendalough Visitor Centre - Bray
Glendalough Visitor Centre, close to Bray, stands at the entrance to Glendalough Valley, just beside the main part of the monastic settlement. The monastery was founded in the sixth century by Saint Kevin and survived up until the sixteenth century. The buildings which survive date from between the eighth and the twelfth centuries and include a well preserved round tower, a number of fine stone churches and various crosses.
Glenroe Farm - Kilcoole
Located at Kilcoole, as both a real and fictional rural community Glenroe Open Farm appeals to young and old alike. In addition to being one of the principal filming locations of popular TV series 'Glenroe', the Farm offers close and easy access to a terrific selection of farm animals and pets.